Fpblbt17

帖子 13351
註冊 2017-10-9
用戶註冊天數 2362
用戶失蹤天數 2065
狀態 離線
發表於 2018-5-19 08:21 
分享  私人訊息  頂部
By Michael Jordan?“It was a joyful feeling…just standing there and seeing the Guyana flag in the air. I think I got cold sweat from joy, and seeing so many people…I don’t think I could get that feeling again…”He doesn’t strike you as someone who is a national hero.No trophies or plaques adorn his home in Shirley Field-Ridley Square. He doesn’t flaunt the medal he won 32 years ago, or the national award he got last year.These days, he’s just another hard-working taxi driver hustling to provide for his family.But it’s when he speaks about boxing? that you see the fervour and passion that made him who he is—-Michael Anthony Parris, former national bantamweight champion, and the only Guyanese to have won an Olympic medal.The champ poses outside Kaieteur NewsBoxing was his legacy from the time he was born on October 4, 1957, into a family of six boys and six girls, to Ralph Parris, a stevedore, and Doreen Parris.He grew up in tough Princes Street, in Lodge, near to the D’Urban Park, where he would watch the likes of Maxie Sergeant and Mark Harris brawl in illegal street-fights on Sundays.By the age of nine he was already lacing on boxing gloves, and he literally grew up in a boxing gym.“My old man used to box and he set up a bottom-house boxing gym,” the boxing icon recalled. Eventually,Wholesale Jerseys Free Shipping, the six brothers joined the Save the Children Boxing Gym, which was located at Freeburg Primary School in Norton Street. Aside from his father, his first coaches were Cedric Williams and Joseph Spencer, both now deceased.That period can be considered the golden era of amateur boxing in Guyana.? “There was Salem Gym, Bauxite Bombers, Ricola Gym, the Republican Gym (where the boxers were mainly tough men who were serving time) the Police Force and Guyana Defence Force Gyms,” Parris reminisced.“There was stiff competition back then, especially when you competed against the Republicans.”His brothers, who were regularly getting into street-fights, considered him the weakling of the pack. He preferred to do his fighting in the ring, and if he was the ‘weakest,’ he was also the brother who trained the hardest.“My brothers always liked to show that they were rough…they never wanted to make the kind of sacrifices that I used to make. I would train early in the morning and afternoon, whether there was a competition or not. I would train every other day because I used to say that I have a goal to achieve.”His dedication paid off. At 15, he won the Junior Amateur Championship while competing as a featherweight (125 pounds). He then began competing in the bantamweight category.Back then,Jerseys Wholesale, there was a stronger emphasis on sports and when he gained employment at the Guyana Marketing Corporation, he was given time-off to train.He also competed in road races. It was there that he met Ursula Perreira, who would later become his wife.“Even before we married she was always supportive of me. Without her help I could not have achieved all that I did.”The fighters he remembers competing against during this era are Canada-based Guyanese Cleveland Denny (who died from brain injuries after a professional bout), Walter Smith of the Bauxite Bombers, Paul Wiltshire and Darius Forde, nephew of Reginald Forde and the late Patrick Forde.A close-up view of Parris’ Olympic bronze medal“With me and Darius Forde it was always a big showdown. He was young but I had dedication. I beat him twice as an amateur and twice as a professional. I also competed in the US, Canada, Jamaica the Bahamas and Cuba, so the experience was there.”Except for the Cubans, Guyana dominated practically every Caribbean amateur boxing championship. “We used to dominate back then. The government was really dedicated to sports. I got great support from the government at the time, but you yourself have to make the sacrifice.“My goal was to be at the top, and obviously the highest stage is the Olympics.”That opportunity came 1980, with the Olympics in Moscow.The Guyana Amateur Boxing Association selected several boxers, including Parris, to participate in a tournament for a place on the team to Moscow. Parris defeated Darius Forde to secure his berth on the Olympic team, along with Alfred Thomas of the Guyana Defence Force, Barrington Cambridge, and Dansford Brown of the Bauxite Bombers. The coach was the late Courtney Atherly.In chilly Moscow, the young boxer went to almost fanatical extremes to attain his goal.“When I go to cold countries (to fight) I would exercise half-naked. I locked myself in the room (at Moscow), and turned up the air conditioning. I did not go to the (Olympic) march-past, I just stayed in my room and trained.”But he admitted that he was intimidated by the presence of so many great athletes and by the atmosphere of the Olympics. “There were so many people, but you would not see anyone from Guyana. Security was tight. Eve

無頭像
yueyrt1Vso

帖子 12227
註冊 2017-9-12
用戶註冊天數 2389
用戶失蹤天數 2065
狀態 離線
發表於 2018-5-19 08:22 
Mother’s Day for most is filled with joy and laughter as time is taken on this special occasion to appreciate and celebrate the maternal heroines in our lives.Whether it is a biological, foster mother or otherwise, most people can find someone on this special day to salute and simply say “thank you” to for the indelible impact and contribution made to their lives.Sadly,Cheap NFL Jerseys, for some,NFL Jerseys From China, today’s observance will hold bittersweet memories as they wrestle with the loss of that special “mother figure.”Meanwhile, there are mothers who, rather than being cheerful on their special day,China NFL Jerseys, will spend it mourning the death of a child.Prominent psychoanalyst, Theador Reik, described the relationship between mother and child “as the strongest bond on earth”. It is indelible and indescribable, he said.Nathalie Caseley knows only too well the agonising pain involved in enduring this day in agony. This is the second year that she will not have the love of her first born son on this special day.This year, one again, she will not have the pleasure of his little hugs and kisses, hear his infectious laughter around the house or hear the patter of his little feet.Four-year-old Jaden Mars died last December during a visit to the Georgetown Public Hospital for a split tongue.“I’m currently in denial… I try to put this harsh reality aside and remember the past,Jerseys NFL Wholesale, his laughter, his jokes, his smile and his cheerful persona.Because of Mother’s Day I tried all week to not think about him and my plans because it is very hard to cope with the loss of my son,” Nathalie said recently.Nathalie, who recently gave birth to her third child, is clearly still mourning the loss of her eldest son. She described the experience as something that “no mother should have to bear.”After falling and cutting his tongue on a bucket Jaden was rushed to a health clinic in the area before he was referred to the GPHC to have stitches.Medical officials there told his mother that they would need to give him a small dose of anesthetic to allow the stitching of the tongue.?After three small doses of the anesthetic failed to fully numb the young boy’s tongue, the medical team decided that they would need to move him to the theatre and apply more of the anesthetic in a controlled environment.It was just then that doctors informed Nathalie that her son’s heart had collapsed. He was hospitalized for some time before passing away; a post-mortem examination stated that this death was caused by pulmonary embolism.The relatives of Gillian Merle Thompson will also be grieving her loss today.The numerous students who benefitted from her wisdom, knowledge and guidance will no doubt also be celebrating her.Gillian died on December 24, 2013 (Christmas Eve Day) in a horrific motor vehicle accident at the junction of North Road and Shiv Chanderpaul Drive in Georgetown.At the time of her death she was the Chief Librarian of the Guyana National Library.For her many nieces and nephews Gillian was nothing short of a mother as she had fine motherly qualities. They related that she reached out to all; always with words of wise inspiration and sage counsel.Essentially,Wholesale Jerseys Free Shipping, she used to admonish them to place a high premium on higher education; and fortunately, she lived to see the benefits of her motivation and encouragement pay off.“Gillian was that mother for many of those children who had no one to turn to,Cheap NFL Jerseys, the mother of literacy to all of Guyana, a caretaker, teacher and a friend,” one relative reminisced.