yueyrt1Hft

帖子 24258
註冊 2017-9-13
用戶註冊天數 2388
用戶失蹤天數 1735
狀態 離線
發表於 2018-6-20 22:02 
分享  私人訊息  頂部
By Dale AndrewsFor 20 long years Marilyn Harper has been longing to come home and experience a good old Guyanese Christmas. But it’s not been that easy for her. You see Marilyn wants to come home with her entire family and celebrate Christmas the way she knew it as a child growing up in Guyana. But their different schedules have been putting this idea constantly on hold.There will be no shortage of rum but these New York-based Guyanese have to take that ‘drink’ indoors. Marilyn resides in Brooklyn, New York, and is a wife, mother and grandmother, and a family Christmas with the true Guyanese flavour will be the icing on the cake for her.Of course, for her, Christmas in her adopted homeland is never like the ones spent at home more than two decades ago.For one, she misses the preparation so much so that not even the smell of New York-flavoured pepper-pot and ginger beer could match that feeling of a Christmas morning in Guyana.Reminiscently she said “It used to be an exciting time just preparing for Christmas, getting things ready,Cheap Jerseys From China, changing your blinds, painting, you know… that is what I miss.”Such is the story of many who would like to be with family enjoying a green Christmas but cant for various reasons.Marjorie Gibson is another Guyanese who believes that Christmas in the USA cannot even come near those she experienced in Guyana.“In Guyana you would get up in the morning and look over at your neighbour to see what type of blinds (curtains) they put up, if they have new ones. Here the blinds could be up for the whole year and it does not matter. But we decorate if you feel like it,” Gibson stated.With Christmas coming just after Thanksgiving, Americans blend the two events almost into one and US-based Guyanese have also adopted this posture.“There is nothing like ‘breaking up the house’ here. As soon as Thanksgiving is over, we’re into the Christmas season and you will already have your decorations up. It’s not like in Guyana when you wait until it’s close to Christmas,” Gibson said.But at least Harper will be changing her curtains for the season as a ‘true to the bone Guyanese’.Both Harper and Gibson confirmed that the customary ‘free’ staff parties are almost non-existent.“Here you have to pay your money and you go. It’s not like in Guyana where the work place sponsors the party.” They also said that visits to friends are done via invitation but noted that “the place is very cold so most of the time you stay indoors”.For Marilyn,Cheap Basketball Jerseys, this year like so many of those she has spent in the USA will be quiet, despite her hectic work schedule.She has been a great cook ever since her mother allowed her into the kitchen and that talent is serving her well even on to this day.Kaieteur News caught up with her while she was busy preparing a cake for someone as is the norm around this time.“I usually bake for a lot of Guyanese people and things like that, so usually when Christmas morning catches me, I’m so tired. But after baking so many cakes, at Christmas I just feel tired and need to relax.”Her husband Oswald doesn’t mind since according to Marilyn, their daughter and her family may sometimes come over and they all will share a special Christmas dinner.Of course in America,Wholesale Authentic Jerseys, Marilyn and her family have adopted the tradition of having a mighty breakfast,jerseys cheap nfl, with their pepper-pot and garlic pork, and then a sumptuous dinner.“We do have all the traditional Christmas food. I try to make Christmas the way I remember it in Guyana. I have everything, my ginger beer, sorrel,China NFL Jerseys, the black cake as usual and everything.”With Christmas being such a big thing among the Guyanese community in New York, some of Marilyn’s American friends are also sucked into the celebrations.“They don’t really visit but I usually have to give a few of them some pepper-pot or some garlic pork, everybody has to try it. So most years I have a friend or two who I have to give something,” Marilyn said.Unlike many Guyanese living in the US, Marilyn is one of the lucky ones who get to enjoy Boxing Day at home also.She told Kaieteur News that because of her job, she gets almost the entire holiday season off – beginning from Christmas Day.That is not to say that she can sleep all day in the cold weather at this time. There are still the constant demands from friends on her culinary skills.“I would like to spend a Christmas in Guyana but it must be with the whole family, not just with me alone. But one of these days,” Marilyn said with a chuckle.Denise Beaton is another Guyanese

無頭像
yueyrt1Hft

帖子 24258
註冊 2017-9-13
用戶註冊天數 2388
用戶失蹤天數 1735
狀態 離線
發表於 2018-6-20 23:26 
An 18-year-old woman perished after she was crushed by an overturned truck on the road to Mahdia on Saturday.Tenisha Jones whose address is listed as Last Entrance,NFL Jerseys Supply, North Ruimveldt reportedly died on the spot at around 11:00 hours while on her way to Mahdia from an area called Tiger Hill.According to reports,Wholesale NFL Jerseys, Jones and five other persons were sitting in the tray of the truck when it developed mechanical problems and started to go down the hill it was climbing.It is alleged that as the truck kept going backward,Wholesale NFL Jerseys China, it developed speed causing the driver to lose control and the truck toppled over pinning Jones.The other passengers managed to escape with minor injuries but by the time they pulled Jones out,China NFL Jerseys, she was already dead.Her body will be brought to the city today.

無頭像
yueyrt1Hft

帖子 24258
註冊 2017-9-13
用戶註冊天數 2388
用戶失蹤天數 1735
狀態 離線
發表於 2018-6-21 00:16 
….as supplies dwindleLethem residents are being forced to buy-back fuel from Brazil as stocks run low in face of the closure of a road that links that border area to Linden.Residents yesterday said that a gallon of gasoline is now going for as much as $1,000 with the power company there reportedly only having stocks to last until today.With Brazil’s border area finding fuel much cheaper on the Guyana side, brisk trade has been going on for the past few years and local retailers,Jerseys NFL Cheap, banking on the re-opening of the Linden/Lethem Road which was closed to traffic over the past week to facilitate repairs, have severely depleted their stocks.Yesterday, there was not much gasoline left in Lethem, and some residents were reportedly forced to buy-back fuel from the same people who had purchased from the area.“We are buying fuel for almost $350 a litre when normally it costs us $200,” said businessman Daniel Gajie, yesterday. “Also beverage supplies are fast running out.”Gajie explained that while the road closure has affected the construction industry in Lethem heavily with cement and steel supplies very low, there is still enough food to last in the event that there are more delays.It is estimated that Lethem alone, on a daily basis, uses 100 drums of fuel, and this includes stocks for the power company.Last week, government announced the closure of the roadway for two days after floodwaters covered large sections of it, with erosion reported in other parts.However, with several miles of roadway to be fixed and rains affecting work, the roadway still remained closed as of yesterday.On Monday, the Ministry of Public Works said that light vehicles would have started to pass as early as yesterday, but this has not been confirmed. Arrangements were also being put in place to allow fuel tankers to pass on the road or even effect transfers to smaller pickups in order to ensure that Lethem is supplied with fuel, the Ministry had assured.There have been complaints that despite restrictions on the passage of heavy trucks on the road, a few were still getting through and this was damaging a roadway, already soggy from the rains, even more.Public Works officials said that on some days, more than five trucks have to be pulled from the deep ruts, further causing delays in repair works.Meanwhile, Gajie, a Past President of the Rupununi Chamber of Commerce and Industry, yesterday criticized the road operations and its maintenance programme.He claimed that between 2006 and 2009, the Chamber and residents of Lethem had been calling for the establishment of a special committee that would have monitored the repairs to the road.“We are not comfortable with this current programme where officials just visit two…three times a year, and are not consulting sufficiently with us. We called for the establishment of this oversight committee which would have included representatives of Region Nine and Ten, the Chamber,Cheap NFL Jerseys China, the Ministry of Public Works and others.”The businessman questioned whether government was really getting value for money with indications of poor quality material being used to repair the roadway.“I do believe that government is being shortchanged because every year, you have to go back and repair the same bad section.”According to Gajie, with main contractor, MMC,Cheap Adidas NHL Jerseys, tasked with many other works, there seems to be little “interest” in ensuring that the job there is properly done.He also questioned whether the company is technically capable of handling repairs to parts of the 300-plus mile stretch of road and noted that the compactor, a piece of equipment owned the company, is too small to conduct some of the work.Making his case for the establishment of the committee,Cheap NFL Jerseys Wholesale, Gajie pointed out that the government’s programme ends by November/December every year but in April/May not much happens. He opined that the committee could help in identifying the key bad areas and ensure that quality work is done to repair them in the interim.Driver expected in court today The driver of the canter truck which was involved in an accident last Sunday night, resulting in the death of a carpenter is expected in court today.A post mortem was done on the remains of Yogeshwar Samaroo yesterday and the results showed that he died as a result of injuries consistent with an accident.On Sunday night last, Samaroo of Ninth Street, Diamond New Scheme,China Jerseys Free Shipping, East Bank Demerara, was struck off his bicycle in the vicinity of Seventh Street.At the time the man, who was a carpenter,Wholesale NFL Jerseys, was returning