yueyrt1Hft

帖子 24258
註冊 2017-9-13
用戶註冊天數 2389
用戶失蹤天數 1735
狀態 離線
發表於 2018-6-21 15:28 
分享  私人訊息  頂部
“The greatest lesson I learnt from the former Presidents was to love your country. Independence is more than your own flag or a national anthem. It is an important lesson for the individual too.”By Kiana WilburgThe only rivals to her love for teaching are her passion for equality, and of course, dedicated publicYvonne Harewood-Bennservice. This is, perhaps, one of the main reasons why Yvonne Harewood-Benn was chosen in April 1978, to serve as Guyana’s first female Consul-General. It would see her using every occasion she could to improve Guyana’s image on the international stage and championing women’s right to equal opportunities.She has represented Guyana at innumerable overseas conferences including the Conference of Non-Aligned Nations in Colombo,Cheap World Cup Jerseys, Sri Lanka, in 1976. The retired public servant has also addressed several international missions on social and humanitarian affairs – one being the 32nd General Assembly of the United Nations in New York. She also participated in a multi-regional programme to improve the status of women, sponsored by the US State Department.Today, at age 80, Harewood-Benn, who professes a love like no other for the Lord, credits her still youthful spirit to her creator.CHILDHOOD AND EDUCATIONYvonne Veronica Harewood-Benn was born on Friday, October 19, 1934, to Barbadian parents. Her father came to Guyana’s shores and worked as a labourer on the Skeldon Estate. He later sent for his wife, and soon enough they welcomed their only daughter into the world.She grew up acquiring a love for the estate environment. Her humble beginnings were a source for pragmatic reflection.A portrait of our ‘Special Person’“We were poor, but that was not an excuse for not advancing. But even then it didn’t hit home to me that I was poor. We had clothes on our backs and lots to eat because my father had a farm and I grew up with my brother, my only sibling…and I can say that I had a good childhood. My brother still lives in Berbice, but when the (PPP) government took over in 1992, he didn’t embrace them, and so they burnt the family house down. I lost a lot in that fire.”Nonetheless, the mother of one, who now lives with her nieces and nephews, expressed that in spite of such setbacks and distractions, she always had a passion for knowledge.“I always had a love for education. As I mentioned earlier, my parents were not well-off financially… or educationally as a matter of fact, but they always wanted us to have what they didn’t and at all cost we went to school.”She spoke of her admiration for the teachers in those days who exhibited an unparalleled commitment to their purpose. It was an inspiration to her.“I was the first girl in the area to get what they called a county scholarship, and as they say, it takes a county or a community, to rear a child. It is so true, because when people heard that I got Bishops’ High, everyone chipped in to help out. Who didn’t take me to the dressmaker,Cheap NFL Jerseys China,Being sworn in as Minister of Information by President Desmond Hoyte.took me to get books,Wholesale NFL Jerseys, and it was great feeling. When I came to Bishops’, I spent seven good years there, and it was there my eyes opened to some things that live with me to this day. That’s where I saw the distinct difference between poor and rich and you knew your place, but you still settled in.”Harewood-Benn recalled that she did six subjects, acquiring distinctions in French and English and a passing grade in Mathematics.After completing her secondary education, it was obvious to her, that her calling was teaching. The field was so exciting to her that she placed her plans to pursue tertiary studies on pause and chased after a career in tutoring.“I believe that only the educated are truly free, and that was the reason why I was so excited to teach,” she said.She taught for several years at Skeldon Scots School and moved on to hone her skills at the Teachers’ Training College, which was located at the time on Main Street.After graduating, Harewood-Benn taught at other schools, but eventually made theMs. Harewood-Benn while she served as Consul-General in the US.decision to further her studies. She attended London University and graduated with her B.A. (Honours) in French and Geography.She returned to Guyana, and not surprisingly, continued her teaching career at her former High School, as a Geography teacher, and later moved to Linden to teach at another school.But her life there, took a very important turn that steered her away from the classroom.ACCEPTING MAJOR CHALLENGESHarewood-Benn said that she was approached in the 1970s to be Regional Chairman for Linden,China Jerseys, and was speechless at the mere proposition.“I told them that I knew anything abou