hunikieSuv

帖子 21821
註冊 2017-9-26
用戶註冊天數 2394
用戶失蹤天數 1870
狀態 離線
發表於 2018-7-19 05:37 
分享  私人訊息  頂部
–?? ?An Award-winning essay by Sonnel David-LongeThe Cheddi Jagan Research Centre houses a large archival collection of papers, documents, photograph,China Jerseys Cheap, audio and videotapes, related to Dr. Jagan’s long enduring involvement in the political life of Guyana.The Centre recently held an Essay Competition. The topic was: “Analyse the relevance of “The West on Trial” to the 21st century. The following is the text of the winning entry submitted by Sonnel David-Longe.****“If a nation does not know its past it can never confront and change the challenges of the present, neither can it shape and conceive its future.”After the most informative, interesting and introspective reading assignment I ever challenged myself to,Cheap Jerseys, I saw it fitting to commence my essay in similar style to Dr. Jagan, a most distinguished son of the soil and truly exemplary President, who used to herald the onset of each chapter in his timeless novel with a quotation. I describe it as timeless and I see the question of its relevance as interesting, as such a work never loses value and relevance.Sonnel David- LongeDr. Jagan’s book finds its central theme in the struggle of leaders in times past to establish the foundation of today’s independent Guyana. Much ink may be used trying to encapsulate the relevance of this text, but, as stated in my opening quote, any account of the past of individuals or groups will always be relevant in understanding those factors that influenced the present state and as a way to mould the vision for the future.Dr. Jagan introduces himself and relates the incidences surrounding his birth with a rich exposition on his family and Hindu culture. It is important to note that because of his genuine love to serve his nation in the political arena, his life and Guyana’s fight for freedom from imperialism are inextricably linked. His past, which was by no means divorced from the lifestyle of many Guyanese, presents him as the typical Guyanese and destroys any preconceived notion of superiority in wealth or title in his upbringing.Whilst bridging the gap between himself and all Guyanese, he by no means falls away from the values and morals we see embedded in him in his formative years which he will later prove, particularly in his time in the USA. Although of common upbringing he was of noble upbringing. The determination and diligence, particularly of his father surely left an indelible print on his mind as evidenced in his account in the first chapter. Although not of extraordinary birth or lineage, he immediately established himself as a young radical and tactful youth who personified the value of education in taking himself beyond mere hope to realization. In doing this, he moves beyond the ordinary and sets himself as the perfect example of the knowing the past, understanding the present and using it to shape his desired route to the future.The relevance of ‘The West on Trial’, to the 21st Century finds expression in manifold ways and is particularly instructive as Guyana embraces an upward trajectory to development. Its relevance spreads its wings beyond our land and extends regionally and even globally. Even as Guyana champions the cause of environmental conservation in the global sphere, it is a reiteration of the romanticism of our nation’s natural beauty that Dr. Jagan proudly inserts in the earlier ruminations about El Dorado in my favourite chapter, entitled “My people’s history”.In this chapter, the reader learns of the struggling and changing of hands of the colony between the French, Dutch and British and the eventual British triumph. Slavery is usually described in a general sense, Dr. Jagan gave a detailed account of the Guyanese experience with slavery. He described plantation life, resistance (with mention of popular figures such as Cuffy and Damon) all the way up to Apprenticeship and Indenturedship.“All good and bounty”, a phrase used to describe Guyana by Shakespeare and quoted in the book, may indeed be the description of our nation. “The West on Trial” finds relevance as it creates in any reader, an awareness of the struggle of our predecessors. However, it goes a step further to cause the reader to cultivate an appreciation and even pride from the struggle. This calls to remembrance the lyrics of our national anthem that remind us that “we are born of their sacrifice; heirs of their pains and ours is the glory their eyes did not see…” with the aforementioned knowledge, Guyanese are compelled to employ those tools that yielded the greatest success for our predecessors,Cheap Jerseys Wholesale, whilst sidestepping the mistakes they made. In so doing, we rejoice in their victories and seek to progress therefrom.The credibility and relevance of the book stands tall due this fact, that is, a Guyanese tracing his foot