hunikieSuv

帖子 21821
註冊 2017-9-26
用戶註冊天數 2375
用戶失蹤天數 1851
狀態 離線
發表於 2018-9-21 08:22 
分享  私人訊息  頂部
– two former drug addicts speak candidlyBy Enid Joaquin“My greatest regret is that I was never there for my children, I never played the role of a father to them- I was never really a father to my children both in North America or those in Guyana, and I almost destroyed their lives and that of my former wife, through my obsession with drugs.I’ve made some negative choices that impacted my life severely, and took me from one level to another. It cost me thirty years of my life- almost half of my life!” former drug addict Aubrey Daphness confessed during our interview recently.Looking dapper! Dereck BacchusHe added, “In the United States, where I had married and had four beautiful kids, I forced my wife to go on welfare just to take care of our kids, while instead of supporting them, I spent all the money I made supporting my drug addiction.When my children learnt of my drug addiction our relationship was severed.However, now that I’m clean I’m trying to start a relationship with them, but it is very slow.I have grown children, who don’t even know me- I mean I have a daughter who is now a doctor, and I sometimes talk to her on facebook, and all she says is “hi dad”, and once when I tried to push further, she told me, “all I know of you is that you’re Aubrey Daphness, my biological father, nothing more.” Both of his sons are officers in the US Marines, and he also communicates with them on Facebook.Looking at Daphness, I found it hard to believe that this neatly dressed, clean shaven, well-spoken individual, sitting across the table from me, once walked the streets of Linden, looking for every opportunity to get another ‘high.’And doing that was easy he said- “getting any kind of drugs here is easy, it’s available twenty four seven, seven days a week and you don’t have to go very far.”Indeed he was so adept at getting his ‘highs’, that he was soon reduced to the “lowest of lows.”His spiral into such abysmal depths would send shock waves throughout Linden, as no one expected that one of the community’s brightest minds could be reduced to such a state.Daphness said that he began experimenting with drugs, after graduating from the University of San Francisco, in the USA with a double degree in Business Economics and Computer Science in 1980. After his graduation he gained employment, with AT&T, where he ‘was introduced’ to cocaine and marijuana.But cocaine became his ‘drug of choice.’“My whole mind was always centred on drugs, drugs, drugs.The core of my life was lost to drugs.”His wife could not cope with his addiction,Wholesale Jerseys, and was granted an uncontested divorce.Daphness was later deported from the US in 1992, and upon his return to Guyana, gained employment with the bauxite company, as a Senior Computer systems Analyst.Always “Drugging”Daphness confesses that he was ‘drugging’ for fourteen of the fifteen years he spent employed in the bauxite industry.He said that it was easy to do.‘I was able to drug and hide it, because of the level that I operated at in management, I was able to get my subordinates to get the work done efficiently and effectively, as I had surrounded myself with ‘intellectuals.’I was even drugging during the entire time that I was doing the RETA Programme, on television.” Daphness was also well known in the entertainment circles for his “Daffo Karaoke System”. That too enabled his addictions.RehabilitationAubrey Daphness is currently a drug counselor and administrative Officer of the Phoenix Recovery Project at Mon Repos.Two years ago, he himself was undergoing the drug rehabilitation programme there.It was the second time around for him.The first time he entered the Programme was in February 2010, after he was taken there by relatives. But he absconded after three months, and went all the way to New Amsterdam, where he said the addiction got worse- “spiraled out of control.”He lived in the streets, “But then I couldn’t take it anymore, I was hurting too much, I couldn’t take the pain anymore; that is when I decided that if I was to survive I had to get help.”Our erstwhile addict would go back to the Phoenix Centre seeking help, and was fortunate to be admitted for free, by the Coordinator Mr. Clarence Younge.Today it is now two years since he is ‘clean.“I’m now living testimony that this thing (drug addiction) can be beaten; and I get so much support, its overwhelming- people, especially here in Linden are really happy to see that I was able to turn my life around. Some of them have even been contacting me to help get their loved ones into the programme, and I have been able to assist some of them, while a few others are on the waiting list.However, with all the commendations that I get here, my relatives, especially my sister Camille, are not too keen on me taking up residence again in Linden, because this was my old stomping ground- this was my drug haven, all my old drugging cronies are here, my suppliers, ev