yueyrt1Hft

帖子 24258
註冊 2017-9-13
用戶註冊天數 2388
用戶失蹤天數 1735
狀態 離線
發表於 2017-11-3 08:33 
分享  私人訊息  頂部
“Was it fate that made me switch buses?” By Nadia GuyadeenQuite a few things have occurred in my life that I think I will never be able to forget.? But last Saturday I had an experience that shook all my emotions, particularly my fears.As a reporter, I have seen the worst of the worst in terms of accidents and murders, including the gore of gruesome deaths. I have seen so much of it that I could cover such a story without getting emotional. I had even boasted (to myself) that I had seen it all and it doesn’t bother me like it did when I started in this business.However, on Saturday, when I heard of the death of my colleague, NCN reporter Akila Jacobs, with whom I had sat and talked not too long before her death, tears came to my eyes and I felt nothing but a piercing pain that I cannot describe.The bus that was transporting Akila and other media representatives collided with a sand truck on its way back to Georgetown, following a GT&T assignment in Ituni. Akila and the driver of the bus were killed, and several other media personnel were seriously injured.As with every story, the best place to start is at the beginning, and that is what I will now do.GT&T invited the media to cover the launch of a new cellular site in Ituni, a small town in the interior. I was chosen as the reporter to represent the Kaieteur News on this trip.Akila Jacobs (far right) and Guyana Times reporter Ravena Gildharie taking notes at the commissioning of the cell site in Ituni. I did not mind, since I had not been on an out-of-town assignment for the entire year.I was told that transportation would be provided and that I was to be at GT&T for 08:00 am. I prayed before I left my home on Saturday morning, which I must admit is not something I always remember to do.I arrived there on time, bright and early. Akila, along with her camerawoman June Ann Amsterdam, Chronicle reporter and photographer Vanessa Narine and Adrian Narine respectively, and Guyana Times reporter Ravena Gildharie were already there. We were later joined by Merano Isaacs and Mohamed Nazim of NCN.The driver was late,Wholesale China Jerseys Free Shpping, so while we sat and waited we engaged in some light conversation.Akila was talking about her two-year-old baby girl, her new hairstyle, and things like that. She told us that she was surprised that they were driving to Ituni, as she had thought the media was being flown in.When the bus finally arrived, at around 08:30 am, we all embarked on our long journey.Akila was sitting in the front seat, while I and Chronicle photographer Adrian Narine sat in the back, because we had the same intention – we wanted to sleep.Despite being tired, I found it hard to sleep, so we made jokes and laughed, we were happy. A lot of competition exists among the various media houses, but all that disappears when we meet on trips like this. We would be the best of friends in such times.The driver of the bus, the now deceased Terrence Tappin, in my opinion, was going a little too fast, but I said nothing – a mistake I will never make again.Anyway, we got to Linden safely and ate lunch together.After eating, we went into separate vehicles on our journey through the long trail to Ituni. That ride was about one and a half hours long. I was in a pick-up with Adrian and Vanessa.We got along with the driver great, and enjoyed the journey. We got to Ituni before the others,Cheap Stitched Jerseys, and went for a tour around the village. We had a great time, we laughed, played and enjoyed being in each other’s company. We were separated from the rest of the group after then.The actual assignment was scheduled to begin at 14:00hours, but we were told it would start a bit late and that Prime Minister Samuel Hinds, who was supposed to declare the site officially open, could not make it.Akila started working at NCN just about two months ago, and was assigned to cover assignments connected with the Prime Minister. As such, she was the reporter sent on this fatal trip. The painful part is that the Prime Minister never turned up.The programme began and concluded in an hour’s time. The vehicle that took us dropped off two villagers before we headed out of Ituni. Adrian, Vanessa and I left Ituni last – that was at around 16:30 hours. The others were pretty far ahead of us. We passed them way down in the trail. As we were passing them, our driver went into a hole, causing me, who was sitting next to him, to brace his arm. He swerved a little and then hit the brake.The others, from their vehicle, shouted to us to be careful. That was the last time I saw Akila alive.We passed them and kept going without looking back. The driver of our vehicle was eager to get out of the rugged trail before dark.We asked the driver if we had to change vehicles at Linden again. He said that he was not sure but that he was going to Georgetown and he would take us. We thou