hunikieSuv

帖子 21821
註冊 2017-9-26
用戶註冊天數 2375
用戶失蹤天數 1851
狀態 離線
發表於 2017-11-3 16:25 
分享  私人訊息  頂部
…Sybil Watson-Bollers is a ‘Special Person’ull Quote: “I taught children over the length and breadth of New Amsterdam. I am thankful that I did not only give them education, I also taught them discipline, so you find those children are not rowdy like some of those today.”By Leon SuseranSybil Melvennia Watson-Bollers is a tough lady from inside out. We all know that it is not easySybil Melvennia Watson-Bollersto leave your home and family to go and work in the interior. But because her husband was called to serve her country and more particularly the children of Guyana, in a far-out place in the Pakaraimas, Sybil eagerly chose to accompany him on the journey, taking her skills as a nursery school teacher with her and travelling from the “known into the unknown”.This was the crowning moment in her life, since, for the next five years,Cheap NFL Jerseys Wholesale, she would interact and mingle with Guyana’s Indigenous people from that area, and become one with them in every way. But she was also scared, because they were hearing lots of strange stories about the place. “But by God’s help, we mastered it because the Amerindians were very friendly people. ”If you’re talking about love and service to little children in Guyana, then you cannot leave out Sybil Bollers. If you discuss the history and expansion of nursery education in Regions 5 and 6, then you have to mention her name, for the love she had for the nursery sector propelled her to establish two schools that were eventually adopted by the then government.She was born on October 14, 1928, at D’Edward Village, West Coast Berbice, to Tilly Henrietta and Reginald Watson. She had one sibling, Elaine. Her parents were hard-working. Her mother had a love for kitchen gardening and her father was a sugar/pump boiler, and was employed with the West Indies Sugar Factory. He worked for 6 months and then returned home and so on.Sybil attended Rosignol Government Primary School and she remembers her headmaster, Mr Joe Henry as being “a very strict man”. After passing gardening, sewing and school- leaving exams with “high marks”, she was asked to go to Georgetown for further training, but the protective father that she had, stressed that “girls must be kept at home”.Flanked by one of her daughters,Wholesale Jerseys, Florizella, and husband, WinstonShe took up hair dressing and sewing, but admits “my love was for the children”.Courting a young man, Patrick Kingston (now deceased), in those days at 20 left her heartbroken and with a daughter “whom she loved dearly”. It was not the father’s fault,Cheap Jerseys From China, but his family. She was on the road to marriage, since the two of them had engaged. “I got hurt after 3 years… and then later Mr Bollers came into my life. I got scared. I said I don’t want to be with anybody, so I mostly used to cling to church work.”She was Sunday School Supervisor for Hanover Congregational Church at D’Edward.“I was an all- rounder. We used to go around evangelizing and praying for people. I enjoyed it a lot”, she noted. She enjoyed church work so much that she thought she would never have need for another partner in her life.“I thought I was not going to accept anyone again into my life”, she reminisced.With great encouragement from parents and a need for the young to be educated, young Sybil opened a kindergarten school in 1955. The school, with over 65 children, was being conducted at the D’Edward Neighbourhood Democratic Council office.“I had loved children. I used to get the neighbours’ children and they used to come around me. and really, I wanted to teach, but after I passed the exam and was to go to Georgetown, my Daddy said he was not sending girl children further than home, so I had to do what my parents said. But I was still determined, because the neighbours around saw I loved children and they encouraged me to open the schools,” she reflected. Her niece assisted her with the children.Three years later, Winston Bollers entered her life.“He swept me off my feet and we were married on my 31st birthday, October 14, 1959.”Their union produced five children: Patrick, Florizella, Celeste, Claire and Patricia.Shortly after that, he was transferred to New Amsterdam Primary. She left West Berbice and the school in the hands of her niece to carry on and continued life in East Berbice. Wanting to tend to the needs of the young in New Amsterdam, Mrs Bollers then opened another kindergarten school, this time in Smythfield.“Seeing I still loved children, I went and opened a school. The Lutheran church had a building and they gave it to me.”Supervising children’s play timePrime Minister Forbes Burnham, at the time, had “asked all the private schools to stick together”. He then sent Minister of Education, Mrs. Rosaline Chase, “to visit various schools to