yueyrt1Hft

帖子 24258
註冊 2017-9-13
用戶註冊天數 2388
用戶失蹤天數 1735
狀態 離線
發表於 2017-11-15 23:02 
分享  私人訊息  頂部
“A drop of negativity can spoil a pool of positive things. I don’t let negative people rent a space in my head.”By Abena RockcliffeIt was French fashion designer Coco Chanel who expressed the notion, “Dress shabbily and they remember the dress; dress impeccably and they remember the woman.” Our very own Sonia Noel has epitomized that concept throughout her life. She strives to always look her best and her name has been duly positioned among the top locals in the field of fashion.“I grew up hearing my Mom say that ‘a shoemaker never has a proper shoe’ so naturally, I thought the theory applied to persons of similar professions.”Grandma momentHowever, Sonia subsequently learnt and has proven that it’s not always that way.Most of us would have read of Sonia Noel, the immaculate designer who always dresses the part and has made impressive contributions to Guyana’s fashion industry, which she pledges “…will continue happening until the day I die.”The question is: how many of us know Sonia Noel the secondary school teacher, the vendor and the cook?Yes, she’s indeed an interesting as well as special person.Sonia Noel was born in Georgetown, on August 15, 1971, to Claudia John and the late Patrick Noel. She spent most of her youth in Bartica, being raised in a single-parent home.She explained that her mother was a victim of domestic abuse and when she finally mustered the strength to leave her abuser, he decided no longer to contribute to his children’s lives.“Our happy moments depended on him not being home. He was a policeman and he use to beat mommy a lot, most of which I witnessed. That is why I incorporate domestic violence in my fashion shows. Mommy was a victim of both physical and verbal abuse, and the worst part of my childhood was watching her going through that hurt, knowing there was nothing I could have done about it.When mommy finally gathered the strength to move on I was happy and even though things were hard, financially, I found comfort in the fact that she became free from the abuse that she really didn’t deserve. Despite all mommy went through she managed to be a perfect mother.”Sonia recounted that she and her family (mother and five siblings) moved to Bartica, from whence her mother originally hailed, and essentially started life all over again. She was nine at the time but had the irresistible urge to assist her mother. At that tender age, she started making tamarind balls, plantain chips and fudge to sell at school. Then, when she entered secondary school, she moved to selling in front of her mother’s yard.“I could never forget Sandrina Timmerman, who thought me to make pastries. I started making them to sell. I used to put a basket on my head and walk through the village and sell,” she reflected with a smile.Asked how a teen with a basket on her head turned into the attractive, fashion-conscious and accomplished individual Guyana has come to know and respect, she responded, “I was always glamorous I just never had the false pride. There is pride and there is pride, my mom taught me to have values, but not to one day think I am less than anyone else”.Love for fashionSonia poses with her two daughtersIt was funny how Sonia remembered, in detail, everything she was asked about her younger years, except, when she realized that she was in love with fashion. However, I guess one can say it’s because she was obsessed with fashion for as long as she remembers.What she does recall is that it more than likely stemmed from a combination of her idolizing an aunt, and the first pageant she entered at the age of 12.“I use to always admire my aunt Corine, she was my young aunt; mom’s youngest sister. Aunt Corine has always been and remains immaculate in her dressing. Everything she wore always matched. She is what we call a fashionista… of course I didn’t know that word back then, but that is the exact word needed to describe aunt Corine.I loved her; she let me wear some of her clothes because we weren’t far apart in size. Mom is not like aunt Corine, she is quite simple, but Aunty had style, and I think she definitely influenced my perception of style.? Aunty Corine is now 49; sadly she had an amputation. She is still the one who does my signature hair style.”“I have been wearing my own designs since I entered my first pageant at the age of 12. But back then I was shy, so I had to be pushed to enter the pageant. I can recall my teacher, Mona McKenzie, had asked mommy to allow me to participate and mom said yes, ‘but Sonia isn’t going to enter a pageant, Sonia is very shy.’”“Ms. McKenzie tried to persuade me until she eventually told me to just go to the rehearsals and watch the other girls. As I sat in rehearsal watching the other contestants I said to myself ‘I could do that’. So I entered the pageant.? I designed a blue, white and red skirt-suit. The shirt had three-quarter sleeves and the bottom was actually a skirt pants. The front was designed in a tennis-style and the back was a pants effect.”Sonia