hunikieSuv

帖子 21821
註冊 2017-9-26
用戶註冊天數 2394
用戶失蹤天數 1870
狀態 離線
發表於 2017-12-13 04:07 
分享  私人訊息  頂部
“I always prefer field work to working in the Office. I loved and still do love, going into the fields, talking to people, finding out what their problems were and then using this information to determine how best I, as a Councillor, could help them or help to determine the direction the NDC should take in alleviating these problems; in improving their quality of life.”By Staff WriterBack in the early 1970s Prince Albert Pompey, a young man living at Highdam, Mahaicony, now in Region 5 (Mahaica/Berbice), saw the need for improvements in the quality of life of residents in his community.Prince Albert Pompey A.A.Things were not too good.For instance,Jerseys NFL Wholesale, there was a primary drainage canal, the Bellamy Canal which ran parallel to the Atlantic Ocean and served as primary drainage canal for the lands in West Mahaicony, but there were no secondary canals in the area to drain into this primary channel.In those days, in fact, the only secondary drainage for the villages were cow tracks made by these animals grazing in the pasture. Flooding during heavy rains was accepted as inevitable. There was no electricity; no potable water system; no telephones.REMOVING BARRIERS TO DEVELOPMENTPompey wanted to see change; to see development. He became imbued with the desire to see improvements in the quality of life of residents in his village and in West Mahaicony. He decided to become involved in Local Government as a means of removing the barriers to development.He joined the Local Authority of West Mahaicony in 1970; served nine years as Vice Chairman up to 1979; served fifteen years as Chairman up to 1994 and since then an additional twenty-one years as a Councillor…and counting.Last week, when Kaieteur News caught up with this ‘Special Person’, he was still involved,Wholesale Hockey Jerseys, still participating in Council meetings; still playing a vital leadership role?in creating?vision, direction and?values at the level of the Neighbourhood Democratic Council (NDC); still managing to balance these roles with that of an activist of the political party of his choice which he joined in 1955.Last year, on the occasion of the 49th Anniversary of the Independence of Guyana, Mr. Pompey, Councillor of Woodlands/Farm Neighbourhood Democratic Council was awarded? the national honour of the Golden Arrow of Achievement for long, dedicated and outstanding service in the field of local government? and in politics.Thirty years ago he was appointed Commissioner of Oaths and Affidavits and Justice of Peace.ALWAYS WILLING TO HELPPompey, now in his eighties, is always available; always willing to help members of his community and even those outside of it. People freely approach him to get documents signed and to get other forms of assistance which aPrince Albert Pompey with his Golden Arrow of Achievement medal and certificate, for long and dedicated service in the field of local government and politics.COA or a JP can provide.Sometimes they ask it as a favour saying that they don’t have the money at hand, and in many instances he does whatever is required free of charge.“Money is not all,” he emphasised. “Sometimes people come to me. They don’t have the money to pay for the work they need done,Cheap Jerseys China, but I help them anyway.”Pompey said that some time ago he was considering resigning from the post of Councillor, but fellow Councillors urged him to stay on.“They said that I had the experience and the knowledge and I will be of assistance to them so I am still active; still helping out in any way I can.”The 84-year-old is also an Elder of the Kingdom Advanced Ministry Church in Farm, Mahaicony. His advice to young and old for a stress-free and productive life is “Find a Church to go! Accept Jesus Christ as your saviour.”‘BIG BROTHER’Prince Albert Pompey was the elder of two children born to Adolphus and Rebecca Pompey of Ann’s Grove village on the East Coast of Demerara on October 2nd,1931.Adolphus Pompey was like many other men in Ann’s Grove, a diamond seeker. Prince Pompey’s mother, a housewife, died when he was only two years old. He grew up with his grandparents and an aunt.Prince attended the Ann’s Grove Primary Roman Catholic School and graduated with a Preliminary Certificate at the age of fourteen. He then moved to Highdam, Mahaicony (the correct name of which is Rebecca’s Lust) where his grandparents and aunt lived.There were thirteen children in the home. He was the eldest and they called him Big Brother.As a child he enjoyed the rural existence: catching fish swimming in the trenches aback of the village; picking mangoes and guavas from the many trees in the backdam.“Those days were the days? before the Bellamy Canal and the ocean used to come in and leave the fish in shallow trenches when it receded. People never had to buy fish