yueyrt1Hft

帖子 24258
註冊 2017-9-13
用戶註冊天數 2411
用戶失蹤天數 1757
狀態 離線
發表於 2018-1-12 18:51 
分享  私人訊息  頂部
Rupert Hopkinson “I take pride in the fact that I have been able to gradually build the Georgetown Reading and Research Centre (GRRC), and I am determined to eliminate illiteracy in Guyana, book by book.”By Jenelle CarterComing from a humble background, and of benevolent parents who shared their home with more than 50 strangers, one can say it would be in his genetic make-up to be generous. And so it truly is with this week’s ‘Special Person’.Rupert Hopkinson, the Director and founder of the Georgetown Reading and Research Centre (GRRC), was born in Dartmouth, a farming village on the Essequibo Coast. The second of 11 children, Hopkinson reflected that he grew up in quite challenging circumstances, which taught him to appreciate the finer things in life, and ultimately, to make something of his life.“We were poor but happy…we never went hungry, given the fact that farming was vital in our community and we enjoyed everything else that regular country children enjoyed and appreciated.”Despite his modest upbringing,China NFL Jerseys, Hopkinson said he had big dreams to get out of poverty and he was cognizant that the only way out was a sound education. His schooling started at Dartmouth Primary, and soon enough he and his other siblings were taught how to shoulder responsibilities. Being raised in a farming community, in itself, was the perfect opportunity for Hopkinson and his siblings to start learning to appreciate hard work and its fruits.But more about his childhood and growing up, later.Passion For BooksIt was on his return to Guyana, in 1992 (having qualified himself at the tertiary level at Tuskegee University in Alabama,Cheap Jerseys, USA), that Hopkinson served as an Assistant Human Resource Manager for the Guyana Sugar Corporation, the country’s largest employer.“Training was part of my responsibility and it was during this period that I saw firsthand how a shortage of books affected education. I had a lifelong passion for books and I could no longer ignore this glaring deficiency.”Having recognised the need to address what he said was falling educational standards in Guyana, his dream was finally made into a reality. In 1997, the Georgetown Reading and Research Centre, a research and information facility was formed. This Centre makes available books in various subject areas, from pre-school to university level.“For our work over the years the Centre received an award in 2007 from the Rotary Club of Georgetown, for ‘Outstanding Contribution to Education and Professional Development of Guyanese’.”Through the Centre, Hopkinson says he continues to see the importance of education to economic development and ultimately the well-being of a nation.“I recognised too that the concept of the Centre can be replicated and be useful in other communities.”With the aim to track the relationship between reading and a school’s success, the centre collaborated with the Ministry of Education, holding book exhibitions and sales at about 120 schools in various parts of the country. As the Centre’s director, Hopkinson has managed to use his good office to advocate literacy and the need for reading, particularly among children.Accompanying Prime Minister Samuel Hinds on a tour during one of the GRRC’s sales.As part of giving back to Guyanese,Wholesale Jerseys, in January 2006, the Centre established a one-year experimental library programme, ‘READY’, for children below 11 years. (READY is an acronym for Read Early And Develop Yourself). The READY programme promoted reading, through free rental of books to children. During that period, Hopkinson was president of the Central Demerara Lions Club for the fiscal year 2006-2007 and he used the opportunity to focus on promoting literacy among children in the Club’s area of service.Hopkinson emphasises that of all his achievements in life, the most gratifying has been the establishment of GRRC.“I take pride in the fact that I have been able to gradually build the GRRC, and I am determined to eliminate illiteracy in Guyana, book by book. When you contribute to educating people it makes you better off, if you’re short sighted you see it as work. Think about what will happen if we have qualified people staying and living in Guyana you’ll get a better country!”“Education, as we all know, can do a lot for people and more so for the development of a society… If you read you can speak out against things that are not going right, if you don’t learn and understand you can’t make the place you live in better.”Hopkinson’s belief in education and leadership as instruments for growth and development of communities is profound, hence his contribution to developing literacy locally. His journey in community and public service began in 1970. While still in school at the Anna Regina Secondary, his peers, convinced of