yueyrt1Vso

帖子 12227
註冊 2017-9-12
用戶註冊天數 2440
用戶失蹤天數 2116
狀態 離線
發表於 2018-2-9 01:07 
分享  私人訊息  頂部
By Ralph Seeram: It was just a one line statement on her Facebook page,NFL Jerseys Wholesale, “OMG! My apartment has been flooded again”. It was a simple statement, but it really doesn’t tell the real story of the devastating effects last week’s floods had on the poorer families in Guyana.I knew the individual, a single mother; I knew her apartment was flooded with knee high water late last year, when a koker door for lack of maintenance was blown away by the force of the Demerara River.The individual is a friend of mine so I made a call on Facebook messenger (free of course. I love that App) to check on the extent of damage. Some clothes were ruined, some retrievable by washing. The furniture, carpets and so forth were damaged, but the frustrating part was the clean up after the flood.No one takes the time to ascertain the economic hardship these floods have on the poorer section of the society, the “small man or woman to be correct”, who struggles daily to “make ends meet”.We are talking of thousands of households here; people who probably still owe Courts for their furniture, and will still have to pay for them regardless of whether they were destroyed by the floods.Absent in all of this is the economic loss and damage to individuals, farmers, the business community and the Government as a whole. There are pictures of the flooding as usual, flooding (pardon the pun) social media,Wholesale China Jerseys, which has become a routine these days; people just dismiss it as “oh Georgetown flood again”.No one has made any effort be it the press,Cheap Jerseys Free Shipping, the Private Sector or the Government past and present to quantify the loss due to these devastating floods, in terms of dollars. No doubt the loss will be in the billions of dollars, when taken as a whole.What the population gets is the usual “knee jerk” band aid reaction, Ministers and Government officials at the scene where a few canals and trenches are being cleared with excavator. Later the water recedes and all is forgotten.This week I was amused watching pictures of two politicians at the scene of some of the floods. As I watched the photos the word hypocrites came to mind.There was Hamilton Green who presided over the deterioration of the Georgetown from garden city to garbage city; who presided over the lawlessness that took place by business as well as individuals by impeding, nay, blocking drains and canals with their construction in the City.Hamilton Green just woke up from his slumber of the last 20 years and still does not realize that it is the responsibility of the City Council to keep the canals, trenches and drains of the city clean, de-silted and free of garbage.Then there was former President Bharrat Jagdeo and some PPP officials visiting and talking to flood victims. I am saying to myself,Wholesale Jerseys China, now what can Bharrat Jagdeo and the PPP tell these poor victims who suffered from years of this old problem? What comfort can he give them?He certainly can’t pass the blame on the new APNU-AFC government which has only been in office for barely two months, just getting its “feet wet” literally and figuratively.So I am asking myself again what could he be possibly telling those affected victims of the flood? More so what can they be telling him? Could they be telling him that he and his PPP have been in power for 23 years and what did it do to resolve the recurring flooding problem. One would have thought that after the devastating floods of 2005, that a National Plan would have been implemented to relief Guyana of the flooding nightmare.Look. It’s no rocket science; everybody knows what the problem is and what the solution is. Those of us who are older know that there were never such devastating floods as the country is experiencing now. The infrastructure is there or was there. It needs a bold initiative by the Government to implement a plan regardless of cost, and I am sure it will cost less than what it is costing the economy and the poor man’s pocket now,Everyone knows you have to clean all the canals and trenches, not just clearing weeds but de -silting them, dredging them to make them deeper; keep drains clean.If you have to break all the illegal bridges and culverts that block or impede the flow of the drainage then do so.We know that since Guyana is below the sea level, we have to wait on low tides to open the sluices or koker into the rivers. What is lost on those responsible is the fact that the trenches and canals act as a catchment to retain the water until the tide is low to drain. The system was in place years ago and the country except for a few farming areas never experienced the frequency of the problem.Whether this new Coalition Government will have the will to tak