Fpblbt17

帖子 13351
註冊 2017-10-9
用戶註冊天數 2362
用戶失蹤天數 2066
狀態 離線
發表於 2018-2-16 06:25 
分享  私人訊息  頂部
I grew up with a photograph of the Mahatma in our hallway; he was our ‘grandfather’ and hero.”By Rabindra RooplallCyril Shah and Indranie Shah, now deceased, were part of a cultural dynasty that started when both paternal and maternal ancestors stepped onto the shores of Guyana over a century ago.The Shahs followed in the footsteps of the family’s musical, literary, and performing arts traditions. Wife and mother, Bhanmattee Shah, brought the influences of her maternal ancestors who hailed from Allahabad in India. Her ancestors organized centuries-old folk theatre performances of Ramlilas and Puran Mals, and sang the forerunners to taan music in Bel Air during the late 19th and early 20th century.Bhanmattee ShahShah’s ancestors were part of the Tadjah festivals on the Essequibo Coast and performed religious dance programmes in different parts of Essequibo.Bhanmattee’s maternal uncle, Mamoo (Uncle) Dindial, brought his sitars, tablas, and harmonium to Bel Air then to Kitty Railway Line, taught music and Sanskrit, and healed those who had faith in his ‘Jarrehs.’ It was through his line that the Puran Mals and Ramlilas were performed, recalled Bhanmattee.“I was called the ranger because I rode horses and went everywhere, learning everything. I used to climb up to the high window in Charlie’s rice factory in Bel Air where the men held Puran Mals. I used to peep the men dancing in their fancy costumes until I got caught.”Bhanmattee could remember crying when they would not allow her to perform in the Puran Mals because she was female.She was one of the first of her line to break tradition and dance publicly, as only male members of the family were allowed to perform at that time.“That didn’t keep me back, though, I eventually learnt to dance like them and soon was dancing at wedding houses, but mostly at Matticore which we called Dig Dutty,” Bhanmattee gleefully reflected.The family’s foundation for costume making may have been laid when as a child, Bhanmattee enjoyed watching Mamoo Dindial select materials and create his spectacular costumes for characters who performed in the Puran Mals and Ramlilas held in Bel Air.She later built on this early learning, becoming an expert in costume design and creation.Bhanmattee’s penchant for travelling the world may have started with her mother’s own adventures. Bhanmattee’s mother (nicknamed ‘Jack’),Cheap Jerseys Authentic, organized women’s groups of singers and toured Trinidad and Suriname.“My mother took groups of women in small airplanes to take part in Hindu celebrations like the ‘Jag’ in Trinidad and Suriname. My mother herself played the dholak drums and sang the traditional songs. She was the lead singer, the drummer and the organizer,” said Bhanmattee who also recalled that her mother celebrated “Mahatma Gandhi’s successes” with street parades down Lamaha Street, Kitty, to the Kitty Seawall and up Vlissengen Road then Lamaha Street, Newtown to the Maha Sabha.Nadira, Bhanmattee, Suzanne and Seeta Shah received the TAA awards for best dance production and Best Set, 2002-3.She especially remembers marching to the tassa drums with her mother and other women for India’s Independence.“I remember my mother as the leader of all those women marching through the streets for India’s Independence. I grew up with a photograph of the Mahatma in our hallway; he was our ‘grandfather’ and hero.” Declaring that she was the rebel in the family, Bhanmattee explained how she stopped her marriage to the boy her family had pledged her as a child. As a young woman appalled that they wanted to “marry her off,” she jumped on her brother’s horse and rode bareback in front of his family’s house several times until the boy’s mother decided against the wedding.“The boy’s mother said that her son can’t have two men in the family! So that was the end of that, thank God!” exclaimed Bhanmattee.TRACING HER ROOTS BACK TO INDIAAfter long research, spanning over 15 years of numerous trips to India and involving extensive assistance, Bhanmattee traced her maternal ancestral roots to the village Jamkhuri of Soraon Tehsil in Allahabad, India.“I used my mother’s birth certificate, the ship’s records at the Georgetown Post Office (GPO), and the Guyana archives to research from where my grandmother Latchmini came. I failed on my first trip to India because of the wrong spelling of the village on the records in Guyana and my limited Hindi. After several trips to India, I was able to search the archives in Calcutta, through the Asianic Society, with the help of the head person, Suvas Bhose, who was impressed with photographs of Nrityageet.” Bhose finally agreed to facilitate her quest as the archives did not want to allow her access without a letter from the President of Guyana.With access,Wholesale Jerseys, Bhanmattee was able to enlist the help of anthropologist/librarian, Chinmay Chatterjie, who s