hunikieSuv

帖子 21821
註冊 2017-9-26
用戶註冊天數 2401
用戶失蹤天數 1877
狀態 離線
發表於 2018-2-17 00:54 
分享  私人訊息  頂部
By Rehanna Ramsay Three years ago, at age thirteen, Alicia Bollers was placed in State care by the Child Care Protection Agency (CCPA) due to unfortunate home circumstances which included abuse. But rather than allowing this situation to deter her goal for academic excellence, this determined young woman has used her misfortune to propel her,Adidas Nmd r1 Pink, and is now living her dream of becoming a teacher.Last semester, at 16,Cheap Jerseys China, Alicia began her training at the Cyril Potter College of Education-(CPCE) one of the youngest persons to attend the institution.Director of CCPA Anne Greene described Alicia as an example of strength, courage,Alexis Sanchez Jersey, faith and determination.Alicia sat down with Kaieteur News recently to tell her story in the hope that it would inspire other children in similar situations.Alicia related that she grew up with her mother, stepfather and two siblings in a little house on the East Coast of Demerara.The demure young lady recalls being tasked with taking care of her younger siblings and doing numerous household chores,Wholesale Jerseys China, since her mother was not around often. This responsibility, the teenager says often deprived her of time to study or even attend school.“I went through a lot but I was inspired by my teachers. At first, I didn’t know who to trust with my problems, it was affecting my school work …I didn’t know how to read or spell properly but my English teacher,Cheap NFL Jerseys, Mrs. Bradford never gave? up on me. She would call me to her table and give me the attention and help I needed to improve my work. I always wanted to be a teacher but she was one of the first persons who motivated me, those were defining moments for me because she encouraged me not to give up on my career goal.”Eventually Alicia confided in her teacher about her domestic situation and the CCPA intervened, following which she was placed at the Drop in Center in Hadfield Street.Alicia is adamant that her “story” would have been different, had it not been for the support, encouragement, care and mentoring of some of the CPPA officials she came into contact with.“At the agency I met Ms Teresa Game, a Child Care Officer who became my mentor. She also exposed me to counseling. The advice that Ms Game gave kept me from going astray and following negative influences.? She helped me to stay focused and to make wise choices.”“At the drop center I found a safe place to sleep and dwell and feel at home, because the staff was very kind to me. They treated me like family. Now that I am moving away to stay in college, I will really miss them but I am in a sense happy because I will have more privacy and less noise.”While at the Centre Alicia attended the Assemblies of God Church where she learnt about having faith in God. She also loves to dance and write poetry, two mediums the teenager uses to express her feelings about her challenges.Alicia was subsequently placed in the care of a foster family for ten months which she said provided her the opportunity to be a part of a functional family.? She subsequently returned to live at the Drop in Center.“A family came into the Center and saw me and wanted me to come to their home. I was placed with the family for ten months. They treated me well made me feel welcomed; I still keep contact with them from time to time …”The teenager earned the distinction of Top Female Performer of the Kingston Community High School at the recent Caribbean Secondary Education Certificate (CSEC) examinations,“I wrote six subjects and I did my best, I got all my subjects. I am grateful to my teachers, the care agency and all those persons who contributed to my success.”On completion of her work study stint at the Ministry of Tourism, the young woman applied to begin training at the CPCE.The teenager says despite the fact that she is happy,Wholesale Jerseys, she longs to connect with her own family, especially younger siblings, someday.Her encouragement to children who may be going through unfortunate circumstances is to “Never lose sight of your goal …. Where there is a will there is a way and you can achieve your dreams ….just don’t give up”