yueyrt1Vso

帖子 12227
註冊 2017-9-12
用戶註冊天數 2412
用戶失蹤天數 2088
狀態 離線
發表於 2018-2-18 23:08 
分享  私人訊息  頂部
Cecil Claude Kennard, O.R., is a ‘Special Person’“I always feel that one should give back to society and not keep alltheir knowledge to themselves.”By Rawle WelchDespite handing down some of the toughest decisions a Judge could ever make, retired Chancellor of the Judiciary and current Chairman of the Police Complaints Authority (PCA) Cecil Claude Kennard, O.R. is by no means a mean-spirited, unapproachable and unhelpful individual, instead he is totally the opposite.The fourth child, born to Charles and Stella Kennard of Bush Lot, Corentyne, Berbice, he developed into one of the most unassuming, polite and accommodating practitioners in the legal profession and according to him,Wholesale Football Jerseys, this has been his demeanour throughout his tenure in the legal system.A vastly experienced jurist, Chancellor Kennard has passed through the ranks of the legal framework; serving with distinction in all areas to which he was assigned and rightly deserves to be classified as a ‘Special Person’.His father, a Land Proprietor, owned an estate at Bush Lot where he cultivated rice and reared cattle, while he (Cecil) received his primary education at the Kildonan Church of Scotland School, before attending the Berbice High School.With wife Nadia and son GaryThere he successfully completed his General Certificate of Education Examinations and subsequently taught for four years at both his old Primary School and the Rose Hall Church of Scotland Primary School.All this time young Kennard had harboured thoughts of becoming a lawyer, and in 1959 left for England to read law at the prestigious Lincoln’s Inn and was subsequently called to the Bar in that same country three years later.However,Cheap Nike NFL Jerseys, his yearning to come back home and serve saw him return in 1962 to open his own private practice in his hometown of Berbice after receiving permission to do so.He was admitted by the distinguished Chief Justice at the time Sir Lionel Luckhoo and his petition was presented by Senior Counsel C. Lloyd Luckhoo. He practiced for three years in the Ancient County.However, on October 1, 1965, an event occurred that would disrupt his original ambition and change his life forever.He was appointed State Counsel in the Chambers of the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) and that was the turning point in his illustrious career in the legal fraternity.“When I first begun as a lawyer my idea was to remain in practice and help contribute to the jurisprudence in this country. It was never my intention to join the legal service I just wanted to do my private practice. However, for some reason or the other, the late Mahendranauth Poonai, an Attorney-at-Law was the one who suggested that I offer my services to the State for a period, but having served, I eventually fell in love with being in the legal service. During that time, there were two positions vacant, one for a Magistrate and the other for a State Counsel. Fortunately for me, I would say,Cheap Jerseys From China, someone else got the job in the Magistracy and I got the other, and in hindsight, I’m glad that I did get it.”Kennard said that prosecuting helps build your confidence and makes you a very good advocate.After just three years in the DPP’s Chambers, he was appointed a Senior State Counsel in April 1968, during which time he served as a Legal Adviser to the Police Force on many occasions.Kennard’s climb up the legal ladder continued during the period 1971-75 when he acted as a rent-assessment Magistrate on a part-time basis.Commenting on his notable career as a State Prosecutor, Kennard said that the 1971 Kitty Royal Bank robbery and murder was among the highlights.He recalled the names of the accused Yadunauth, Kirpal Sukhdeo and Dhanpaul Kanhai, who were all charged with the murder of the messenger of the Bank, Percival.“That trial lasted two months and at its conclusion, all of them were convicted, but one was freed on the account of an appeal. I remember that trial because of the lengthy period it took and the fact that the outstanding JOF Haynes, SC, led the defence team and it was not easy to accomplish such a feat against him,” Kennard recalled.He said that the case took on such importance that they were required to work over the Christmas holidays to arrive at a verdict.He was seconded by the then Government of Guyana to Antigua & Barbuda in 1975 on the recommendation of Sir Lionel Luckhoo to serve as the Director of Public Prosecutions for an agreed three years.“He had requested that I be approached and I willingly agreed on the grounds that my service will not be broken.”Chancellor Kennard taking the salute at the Heads of the Judiciary Conference of the Commonwealth Caribbean on October 14, 2000.Kennard left for the island, but was recalled before the time e