Fpblbt17

帖子 13351
註冊 2017-10-9
用戶註冊天數 2414
用戶失蹤天數 2117
狀態 離線
發表於 2018-3-8 09:41 
分享  私人訊息  頂部
I have travelled to numerous Caribbean countries and have always marveled at their breathtaking topography. Ironically, my travels overseas commenced in 1985 with a trip to Barbados to participate in the inaugural Carifta Boxing Championships staged in that country. Maybe, the fact that I was traveling with ambassadorial credentials saved me from the ‘esteemed privilege’ accorded to many Guyanese of straddling that renowned bench placed at the Grantley Adams International Airport. I was accorded all the courtesies of a distinguished traveler.A few years later, while destined for England, I made a stopover at the Barbados port of entry to facilitate a change of aircrafts for the second leg of my journey. In order to access the London immigration desk, I was required to pass through the Barbados immigration desk. I noted that most of the other passengers (non-Guyanese of course) were allowed entry without undue hassle. My case was different; I was grilled as though I was a suspected terrorist and even though I possessed a ticket to facilitate the continuing leg of my journey,Wholesale Jerseys China, scheduled for some eight hours later, I was subjected to a thorough grilling before I was allowed to enter ‘the Land of the Flying Fish.’The thing that most annoyed me was the nonsensical questions asked by the Immigration Officer. “How long do you plan to stay?” and “Have you ever been to Barbados before?” Now, both of those questions could have been answered by simply perusing my passport, which had a Barbados entry stamp supported by the fact that I was in possession of a ticket that clearly indicated that my final stop was at the Heathrow International Airport. Apparently, the Bajan official just felt that since I am Guyanese, it was his duty to present some difficulties for me irrespective of the legitimacy of my claims.This sort of disrespect for Guyanese by other Caricom countries is not only displayed in Barbados as my experience in ‘The Land of the Flying Fish’ during one of my visits there affirmed. One night while in transit at Piarco in Trinidad, on my way back to Guyana from London, I was extremely tired after an eight hour journey from the Heathrow International Airport and was eagerly anticipating a shower and a nice long rest upon my arrival in Guyana.Maybe out of tiredness, or pure ignorance, I really cannot recall,Wholesale China Jerseys, I failed to collect a transit ticket, which would have distinguished me from those passengers that were joining the craft from Trinidad and Tobago onto Guyana.At boarding time a voice over the intercom instructed the passengers traveling from England to board the craft first. Relieved, I approached the departure gate only to be stopped because I did not possess the transit ticket. Tired, disappointed and angry, I attempted to inform the official at the departure gate that I was traveling from England. I even presented my ticket to verify my point. He arrogantly stuck to his position and I was refused an opportunity of leaving Piarco among the first bunch.I sat near to the departure door and flung sordid remarks in his direction and in retaliation he ensured that I was the last person to board the craft. Of course,Wholesale NFL Jerseys, I would have had a parting shot for him and while I would have wished to share that remark with my readers, as you would have guessed, it would not have passed my editor’s incisive pen.Ever since, talks pertaining to efforts to establish the Caribbean Single Market and Economy have begun, the skeptics have hinted at the inapplicability of the statutes to regularize this initiative. Indeed it would appear as though some Caribbean nations are only prepared to observe such an initiative in the breach.Barbados is notorious for treating Guyanese nationals shabbily and sometimes I marvel at our patience and tolerance with these people. At any given day, one could troop to a certain section of the Bourda Market or the Stabroek Market and witness the groups of Barbadians that congregate at those points for a lime without molestation from our security forces. They just enjoy pure Guyanese hospitality.The whole notion of Caribbean integration rests on the viability and applicability of the Caribbean Single Market and Economy and while optimism is high, there seems to be a certain force that is precluding the transition process.It was former Prime Minister of Trinidad and Tobago, Basdeo Panday who voiced a concern that another area of overdue implementation is the national arrangements for the free movement of skilled workers.Recently, the Barbadian government had voiced a concern about the large numbers of undocumented Caribbean migrants who have made no attempt to regularise their status on the Island and would be asked to leave.This is the definitive position of Prime Minist