yueyrt1Hft

帖子 24258
註冊 2017-9-13
用戶註冊天數 2388
用戶失蹤天數 1735
狀態 離線
發表於 2018-3-12 06:58 
分享  私人訊息  頂部
By Michael Jordan?“It sold very well in England because they rushed to a second printing because of the demand. For a long time I had the feeling that it was not real; for a while I would wake up and find I was dreaming. The newspapers were calling me for interviews. And the book seemed to have a life of its own…it seemed to teach all the right points to people who had an interest in the lives of young people.”His life sounds like an implausible Hollywood script:? Black youth seeks fortune in foreign land; gets teaching job in tough white neighbourhood… then turns his experiences into a bestselling book and a blockbuster movie.Mr. E. R BraithwaiteBut as incredible as it seems, that’s the true and fascinating story of Mr. Edward Ricardo Braithwaite – teacher, bestselling author, university lecturer, ambassador, and now, in his hundredth year, a National Awardee in his homeland, Guyana. Fact, it seems, is sometimes indeed stranger than fiction, and there was a time when even Mr. Braithwaite, author of the acclaimed semi-autobiographical novel ‘To Sir With Love’, sometimes thought that his success was all a pleasant dream.Relaxing last week at the Pegasus with his companion, Ginette Ast,? during a brief but hectic visit to his homeland,Cheap Jerseys 2018, Mr. Braithwaite recounted the story of his rise to celebrity status.He was born on June 22, in Queenstown, Georgetown in the then British Guiana, a colony,Cheap NFL Jerseys, to a father who was a gold and diamond miner and a mother who was a homemaker. He had four other siblings.A studious lad, Braithwaite entered Queen’s College, but on leaving school decided to migrate to the ‘mother country’, England.“England was always used as a kind of ‘Mecca’ for us boys…a place where we could develop our own talents and skills,” Mr. Braithwaite says.His goal was a career in engineering.“As a kid I studied very hard. My friends wanted to be policemen and things like that, but I wanted to be different. I had no friends or acquaintances who were writers. I never thought of writing as a career.”He travelled to New York, then boarded a cargo ship headed for England.“It was a strange kid of voyage,” he says, a far-away look in his eyes. “Luckily, I had walked with several books, because there was no conversation with the sailors… they were too busy, so I spent time reading.”He’d grown up in British Guiana, where every white man was of the privileged class. England came as a shock to him. For the first time, he saw poverty-stricken whites.“I couldn’t believe my eyes. I saw white men,NFL Jerseys Cheap, bending and picking up cigarette butts and smoking them. All the whites in British Guiana were in managerial positions. I never associated poverty with white persons.”But for the young man from British Guiana, it seemed that he himself was on track where his goals were concerned. He studied engineering, then attended Cambridge University where he studied physics.RacismArmed with his qualifications, he then applied at various places for a job as an engineer. It was at this point that Braithwaite had his first experience with racism. Time and again, his applications were rejected.“Again,Wholesale Cheap Jerseys, it was one of those experiences which I suppose I had to go through,” he says, “and it was all linked to my perspective of whites as being honest; truth-telling. I wasn’t prepared to see them as ordinary people, so it was my fault. In growing up, I did not understand humanity; I saw people in terms of rich, poor, bright or stupid.”A scene from the movie ‘To Sir With Love’But good fortune comes in mysterious and unexpected ways.? For the frustrated and unemployed Braithwaite, it came one day in the form of an elderly man.“I was sitting in a park and he came and sat on a bench near to me. I was not in the mood for conversation and I ignored him; and as old men do, he began whispering to himself. Suddenly he turned to me and made a remark. I responded and we fell into conversation, and I suppose being in my present state I told him of my difficulties. He listened and said, “why don’t’ you try teaching?”“The idea did not commend itself to me. I said that the people would not trust me with inanimate things, why would they trust me with their children?”Despite his misgivings, he applied for a teaching position. Surprisingly, he was accepted.“I was not expecting a great deal, but the rest is history.”The teaching position was at a predominately white school in the tough East End of London.“The headmaster was kind and gracious. He welcomed me, and then he gave me a run-down of the kind of students I should expect to encounter. It was not that he was dissuading me; he was just preparing me for the students.”And what was that first day like?“My first day w