hunikieSuv

帖子 21821
註冊 2017-9-26
用戶註冊天數 2375
用戶失蹤天數 1851
狀態 離線
發表於 2018-3-16 22:17 
分享  私人訊息  頂部
Nine years ago, when Winston George was diagnosed with renal failure, his life took a turn he never catered for. Two years after being diagnosed, George, who became the nation’s second kidney transplant recipient at the Georgetown Public Hospital, was deemed medically unfit to serve in the Guyana Defence Force, and was forced to resign, after dedicating some 22 years of his life to the army. It was not so easy letting go of something he loved so much; nevertheless, George said, he had to give up his job and, before long, as a result of his deteriorating condition, his childhood dream, too, was shattered.?Winston George, his wife, Lorraine, and daughter, Melissa George. According to George, during his final year at the University of Guyana,Cheap Jerseys Wholesale, while studying to become and Agriculturist, he was forced to give up his studies to seek overseas treatment.“What was more heartrending was not being able to work and to provide for my family…I remember one morning I began to cry because it really hurt knowing I have children to provide for, and at that time my wife was not working,” George recalled.As if losing his job and having to deal with his illness was not enough, giving up his studies just compounded the situation.“I always wanted to become an Agriculturist; and after giving up my job and having to leave my studies, it was not easy.”Nevertheless, like the Biblical character Job, George never gave up on himself or his family. While having to deal with dialysis, George said, being surrounded by family members and loved ones who were all supportive kept him going.Throughout his illness, George said, the most difficult part was having to leave his children behind to seek treatment in Barbados, where he was a total stranger and had no one else but his wife and God to depend on.“When we arrived in Barbados, I was in the hospital on treatment and my wife and my sister were there with me in the initial stages. Then I received tremendous help from the then Major-General of the army, Joe Singh.”As time went by, the cost for treatment became more and more expensive, and hope of survival was getting bleaker,Wholesale NFL China Jerseys, George said.“The turning point for me was one day I met a young man who was only 19. He was suffering from the same illness, and I was talking with him in his hospital bed. During our conversation, he just died,” George recalled.At that point, George said, he knew he had to do something more about his illness,Cheap NFL Jerseys Authentic, and he immediately began finding out what his options were.As the years progressed, George said, it was brought to his attention that having a kidney transplant was an option and would give him a few more years of being with his family.“When I first found out about kidney transplant, I joined the clinic at the Georgetown Public Hospital; and after seeing that a transplant was done successfully here, I began considering that,” George said.According to George, not knowing if he would be eligible for the transplant, he and his family began making preparations.“We just start doing all the tests to find a donor, and initially my brother said he was going to be the donor; then he subsequently pulled out,” he recalled.At that point,Wholesale NFL Jerseys China, my two daughters opted to be donors, but I at first disagreed.“I recalled when my two eldest daughters said they were willing and I told a friend, and his words to me were, ‘Boy, let those girls have their lives’.”After thinking long and hard, George said, he was still hesitant, but his eldest daughter, Melissa, insisted; and with her persistence, George said, he finally agreed.However, while the family was preparing, they had not yet contacted the Ministry of Health to see if he was eligible. George said that he penned a letter to the Minister of Health, and within a matter of two days he got a response.“It was amazing. The Friday I sent the letter and the Monday morning the Minister’s Secretary called, and I was told to visit the Georgetown Public Hospital. And before we knew it, they asked us if we could find a donor, and that we should start doing a series of tests,” George recalled.Fortunately for George and his family, they had already completed most of what was required of them.As the time drew near for the surgery,Wholesale Jerseys Cheap, George said, he was a bit worried, but he managed to draw courage from his daughter who donated the kidney.“At times I was getting cold feet, but I knew I had to stay strong for her, and I did just that…even up to the day of the surgery I was a bit worried, and what compounded the situation was something Melissa did before she was going into the t